Hello, I'm glad you're here, and hope you enjoy your visit. It has been said that "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." This blog is about me, my adventures, silly moments, and keeping in touch with you. Life is exciting and so full of possibilities, so let's enjoy the journey together.

If you would like the featured recipe forwarded to you, click on the little email me ← here.
Comments are always welcome, if simply commenting on a post, feel free to use the comment box.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Recovering. . .

I can’t believe that it’s been 3 weeks since posting on “da blog”!

The question would be what have I been doing?

. . . . . The answer, not much!

I had the knee repaired shortly after my last post, and while I expected a quick recovery, the recovery process has been even quicker than I had anticipated . . .

with NO crutches required. . .

that’s the best part.  If you have ever had the unfortunate experience of needing crutches for more than a couple of hours while goofing around, you know without question that they, the crutches, are a lot of exhausting work just sitting in the corner.


Not only is the seat on this thing ginormous, it’s also sooooo uncomfortable!  But that is a conversation for a different day, just let it suffice to say I’m glad the seat on my bike IS NOT like this!  Bigger and more padded is not better, just trust me on this one.

My first PT appointment was on Monday, 5 days after surgery, but it wasn’t until my 3rd visit that they put me on the bike after the stitches were removed.  While the knee was stiff and highly uncomfortable, although barely, it did manage to make it around a full rotation.  They then gave me directions, well more like permission to accommodate my pleading request that I could ride my bike!  This came with plenty of restrictions and limitations, but I was able to ride nonetheless,

well sort of . . . 

1st: NOTHING outside, I have to be on a trainer. . .

no problem, I have one of those.

2nd: only 10 minutes once per day. . .

. . . Ugh, that’s a painful, pitiful small amount ! ! !

3rd: easy spinning, none of the work up  a sweat kind of stuff. . .

. . . that’s asking a lot, don’t you agree?

It sounded simple enough and I didn’t complain much, seems how the first week the mere  act of pedaling caused high amounts of discomfort, but there is always a silver lining if you look for it,

today. . .  I was getting back sooner than I had anticipated, I was happy with that. 

Since then I’ve graduated to thirty minutes a day with a small amount of resistance. . . Even Better!

so slowly, I am getting back to the bike.


This is a stool.  Basically it’s nothing more than a little “Dr. Stool” the kind that a doctor uses in a doctors office.

It appears to be pretty harmless. . .

but this little stool causes great amounts of OWWWWWIE!


One of the most dreaded exercises in PT are the “stool strolls” . . .  you sit on this little “dr. stool” and stroll down the runway of sorts.  The PT peeps are nice and on your first couple of visits they only have you do one lap with both legs pulling you along.  While it may not sound like much, it’s a TON of work and makes the legs/knees pretty tired.  I began with one lap and each visit they make it longer, in fact this week I graduated to not only three laps, but I alternated legs too. . .  I honestly don’t like doing these, but they do the trick and the afflicted limb does in fact get stronger as a result.


After the leg lifts, heel slides, 10 min bike warm up, stool strolls, leg presses on the “total gym” and the balancing act on one leg routine, they have me hop on this interesting unit, known as a “Bosu Ball”, basically half a ball mounted to a flat surface. 

How it works is: I stand on the flat side and balance while doing squats.  They aren’t so bad, in fact I think I might try to get one of these guys for myself, they are kind of cool.

Then on to  the treadmill. 

The first time they put me on a treadmill, I wanted to cry.  They told me to quit walking like “Festus” and so I practiced walking like a person would walk. . . . normal style.  While this might not sound like a big deal. . . IT WAS!  I felt like a total nerd.  I had to focus diligently to make sure my leg would bend and step . . . bend and step . . . bend and step. . . all going only 1/2 mph, in other words it was about as slow as the treadmill would allow, all while taking these huge exaggerated “bending steps” to make it happen.  This made my knee very tired, and the more tired it became the more difficult it was to “bend & step”  but it paid off because now. . .  I walk pretty normal. 

In the end . . . pain is a good thing.


then 10 minutes of stair stepping. 

This is pretty tiring, even though I just take little itsy-bitsy steps.

So I felt like I was in pretty good shape, and I am, but between the stepper, the bosu ball, the balancing, and leg squats, my legs were stiff. . .

. . . new revelation . . .

I think I need to incorporate more stretching and strengthening in my fitness routine.


And finally. . . .  ahhhhh!  Ice, cold, wonderful, delightful ice. . . this makes PT worth the effort. 

Then they sent me home . . .  with a little list of exercises to keep working on, at home.

It was at this moment that I had one of those unique realization moments we get to participate in from time to time.  This was my first PT appointment and while the knee was being delightfully cooled down with ice I had just finished texting the daughter when I looked up across the room and literally everyone, (including the lady that didn’t fit into the picture) were playing on their cell phones.  It was one of those amusing sights that made me kind of smile to myself, while realizing what an impact technology has had on our lives for EVERYONE.

Well it’s good to be back,  Thanks for joining me this morning!



  1. Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress. I am glad things are going well for you.

  2. I really really really really wish my doctor would have sent me for physical therapy after my knee surgery. To this day I don't know why they didn't. It took me a year after the surgery to feel like I walked normal again.